Economic Growth and Development
Welcome to Econ 6470. This page links you to the up to date and frequently updated course calendar with links to lecture notes and assignments. See the home page of this web page for my office hours, always confirm appointments by email email@example.com the day of and the day before, as a Chair’s schedule is very unpredictable. My office is in Dealy Hall 527E. Check E530 Dealy just before and after class. A special topic this year is the so-called elephant global growth incidence curve and showing the rise of a new world middle class (the back of the elephant) and the much slower rise in the incomes of the OECD middle class combined with a sharp increase in the incomes of the top 1% (the trunk). Even more dramatic is fall in global poverty to under 10% in 2015 ($1/1.25/1.38 and now $1.90/day poverty measure in 2011 PPP prices, of course). It is impossible to predict how the future will view our era but the recent “miracle” growth rates in developing countries is certainly among remarkable accomplishments of our generation. Since the late 1990s when first Asia then Latin America and Africa all grew at over 5% annually, with China growing at twice that rate.
This created the “Elephant” growth incidence curve, certainly a welcome sight for development economists. he 2000-2015 MDGs era largely validates growth and development driven by globalization, development economics in particular remains a “grand pursuit” … PWt 9.0 TFP Data WEO October 2017 Final Exam Review 2106v5 Barro & Sala-i-Martin Chapt 2 see p 64 Jones 2nd ed Chapter 5 Do Insitutions Cause Growth Jones 2nd ed Chapter 8
Climate Change and Growth Heal, 2000 Valuing the Future Rule
Economic Integration and Political Disintegration Cashews in Vietnam (text video left) Ortega and Peri, 2014
Topics Convergence big time (long) Convergence of Everything (short)
WB Gender and Economic Growth Rodrik RERs and Economic Growth 2008 Do Insitutions Cause Growth Gender and Economic Growth IMF
Revisiting the paradox of Capital A new approach to restoring growth? Margaret, Dani Rodrik, and Claudia Sepulveda (2017) Migration and Growth
Manufacturing lost? Structural change, fundamentals and growth: a framework and case studies. IFPRI book and NBER w23378.
Stylized Facts Intro SP 2017 Course Syllabus: Elephant Diagram Intro Lecture PS #2 Inequality and Growth IMF WEO Blog Growth Miracles 2017 Sweatshops in Ethiopia?
Agénor, Pierre-Richard (2004) Economics of Adjustment and Growth, 2nd ed (HUP) 0674015789
Barro, R. & J. Sala-i-Martin (2004) Economic Growth 2nd ed (MIT Press) 0262025531
Acemoglu, Daron (2009) Introduction to Modern Economic Growth, Princeton Univ Press 0691132925
(Chapter 1, 2, & 5 as well as an epilogue or this early pdf draft).
*Jones, Charles & Dietrich Vollrath (2013) Introduction to Economic Growth 3rd edition (W.W. Norton ISBN: 039391917X)
*Aghion, P and P. Howitt (2009) Economics of Growth (MIT Press, Boston) 0262012634
- Part I: Development and Growth: Globalization, Growth and Poverty
- Introduction: Growth and Inequality as captured by the Elephant Growth Incidence Curve
- Africa: From Poverty Trap to Growth Miracle?
- Three Growth Model stories
- Demand & supply side poverty traps
- Population and Sustainable growth
- Inequality and Growth
- Growth Strategies: Institutions, Geography vs. Integration
- Part II: Policies to promote Economic Growth and reduce inequality: the economics of Redistribution
- Growth Accounting and the mystery of TFP growth
- Openness, exchange rates and Growth: Trade, Migration and Growth
- Inclusive growth: finance and growth: financial inclusion and inclusive growth
- Capital Flows: FDI, Debt, Aid and Growth: HIPC
- Valuing Future Generations: Natural Resources, Climate change and long term growth
- Growth case studies: Senegal, Ethiopia, and Nigeria.
Assignments/handouts labor share debate mankiw on r>g
President Macron of France and President Akufo-Addo hold a joint press conference We want to build a Ghana beyond Aid
This is a Macro Development class, for a complementary micro economics of development